Friday, December 14, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash, Mushroom, Chickpea Salad

Oh. My. Goodness.
I just made this up for dinner and it was delicious! A few days ago we got diced fresh butternut squash from Costco (Ready to go! How great is that?) and I have been waiting for a good time to roast it up. Tonight was the night. I just got some mushroom kits from Fungi Perfecti (fungi.com) and started up my Pearl Oyster kit about 4 days ago. They grow FAST and are BEAUTIFUL!

I am so exstatic to be able to have fresh gormet organic mushrooms, and tonight was my first harvest. So... looking up the butternut squash salad recipe I just pinned on pintrest, I grabbed some guidelines and went to town. (see inspiration recipe here)
In here we have the yummy title ingredients, but also quick pickle beets for crunch and sweetness, and a scant few Plumamazins. If you have never had a Plumamazin (click link for info), they are delicious diced dried plums for salads, cereals, etc. They are higher in fiber and lower in calories and sugar than raisins, and they taste yummy in salad as a nice sweet bite.


Recipe: 
Serves 3-4 (at least it does for my family)

Roasted Portion:
2 cups cubed Butternut Squash (~.5 to 1in cubes)
1 15oz can Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
1 Bunch of Pearl Oyster Mushrooms (see photo for ~amt.)
Curry Powder
1 tbs. Olive Oil

Quick Pickle Beets:
1 beet thinly sliced
Lemon Juice
Vinegar

The Rest:
4 cups Salad Greens (I used beet greens, swiss chard, kale, and lettuce from my garden)
A few tbs. Plumasins or other dried fruit (a small sprinkling)

And anything else that you want to add :) 

Instructions:
-Preheat oven to 400 

-Put Squash, Chickpeas, Mushrooms in lightly sprayed lipped roasting pan. Sprinkle desired amt. curry powder over and toss with the Olive oil.

-Roast for about 30-40 min. Or until Squash caramelized slightly and chickpeas browned.
Before....
...After




















Marinating Quick Pickle Beets



-In shallow bowl place sliced beets and cover with ~1/2 1/2 vinegar and lemon juice. Toss and let sit

-When Roasted Portion done, remove from oven, combine with greens, Plumasins, and drained pickled beets.

-Toss and enjoy with favorite salad dressing (I went with Amy's ginger vinaigrette, but any lighter tasting dressing would be great)

ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment